Microstiff - Microsoft Outings of the Third Kind

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Microsofties, I am worried…


  • I am worried that you might abandon Mini for the stage lights. That this opportunity LisaB has promised you is too powerful an aphrodisiac for you. Like the bipolar, alcoholic parent who, in a stage of relative calm, reaches out to you, to comfort you. The lure is powerful; the dream, the fantasy must be fulfilled, if only momentarily.

    Or, like the lost first love, still in your heart, your dreams, beckoning you to go back in time and get it right.
    “If only I had…” Powerful stuff.

    I urge you to look at your company’s creation of the internal Blog this way.
    A lure; an aphrodisiac.

    Understand.
    YOU are the Blog. The Blog is the message. Your company is only the messenger. What has changed about the messenger? Is the duck still a duck? Who will listen to your words? Will they be turned against you? Who will act on your behalf? What will their actions be? Remember this; YOU are the sane one in this equation. Reach out to those who are like you, who know your plight…or, you may be drawn MORE into the insanity.

    STEP # 1:
    PROCEED WITH READING AND POSTING ON THE COMPANY BLOG WITH CAUTION; KEEP EXPECTATIONS LOW.

  • I am also worried that you might eliminate outsiders from your “reality menu” by abandoning Mini. After all, abandon Mini, abandon Microstiff. Now, I don’t pretend to be everything you’ve ever wanted in an external voice. But, I will tell you this:

    I can turn a phrase so I’ll keep it interesting.

    I have a sense of humor, so I’ll keep it funny.

    I am a recovering – recovered? – addicted person with scads of time in every 12 step room there is and every kind of therapy there is.
    Don’t let that scare you; it just means that my levels of awareness exceed my levels of denial. And, that my addictions, lying, cheating, and the like are pretty much ruined…forever (food’s a bitch!)

    I read “The Road Less Traveled” by Dr. Scott Peck, many times over and so I have a good handle on what love is and how powerful it can be once we stop trying to fill ourselves up with it and begin to give it back.

    I have no get rich aspirations and therefore, I will not accept any remuneration for my efforts.

    Stage lights no longer appeal to me.

    Politics…suck!

    STEP # 2:
    CONTINUE TO LISTEN TO OUTSIDERS, EVEN LINUX TYPES, AS THEY CAN PRESENT A WORLD VIEW OF YOUR INSULAR COMPANY’S BEHAVIOR AND HELP YOU FIND BALANCE WITH YOUR JOB.

  • I am also worried that you will fall victim once again, as outsiders have, to the Accumulation Addiction syndrome your company promotes. What I mean by this is that, your company, since its inception, has consciously or subconsciously (probably the latter since awareness is not a strong point of Bill Gates’ makeup) strived to conquer all competitors and literally “be the only game in town.”

    As the Internet begins to chip away at this goal, fear of being dominated begins to overrule in the simplest of corporate decisions.
    One such result is the Internal Corporate Blog.

    You can be certain that this is NOT a LisaB brainchild but that of the child with the big brain:
    Bill Gates. This is nothing more than the desire to conquer all, once again, OWNING the opinions of the employees, and dispensing them to suit the needs of the very INSULAR Microsoft.

    The success of this brainchild will surely meet with the same kinds of success that other dominating endeavors have:
    MEDIOCRITY!

    STEP # 3:
    SEE THE BLOG FOR WHAT IT IS: “ANOTHER MICROSOFT SILO” DESTINED TO BECOME 2ND RATE AND SUPERFLUOUS. PRAY THAT IT DOESN’T.

  • Finally, I am worried that your company will neither successfully innovate nor copy, that Ray Ozzie cannot or will not rise up to become the spiritual (marketing) leader of your company and neither stockholders, board of directors nor Bill Gates will react in time to make Microsoft relevant in the 21st century.

    STEP # 4:
    PRAY. WHY? BECAUSE, SADLY, NOTHING YOU ARE DOING RIGHT APPEARS TO BE MAKING A DIFFERENCE.


Mini-Microsoft: Ba-Da-????

Subscribe to Microstiff - Microsoft Outings of the Third Kind by Email

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home