Microstiff - Microsoft Outings of the Third Kind

Monday, December 18, 2006

Microstiff – “I’d Buy Office 12 If Only You’d…”

Here’s my 2nd wish list. You know…the one that would make me want to purchase Office 12. Once again, you Microsofties have given me NO GOOD REASON TO BUY. Here’s what you have to do to make it worth my while:

  • Give me back my "File" tab - I don't want to have to learn it any other way...especially when every non-Microsoft application on earth HAS IT THE OLD (AND BETTER) WAY. And...you DIDN'T ASK ME IF I WANTED IT THIS WAY! If you had, you'd have kept it the old way. Feature Shock, I tell you!

    I am a power user. Do you honestly think I am going to take the time to learn this Turkey? Classic example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! There is essentially NOTHING you can add to Office 12 except the aforementioned -- my previous Blog -- navigation enhancement. Instead, you have turned it into a mess. I teach beginning, intermediate and advanced Word and Excel. You've created a market for me and the 50 people who are going to purchase this new version between now and 2008.

  • "Break it to me gently; let me down the easy way" - Give me a learning curve that combines classic with ribbon. Classic represents what I haven't learned; ribbon what I have. Let ME decide when and what I will learn. You're not the BOSS of me!

  • "I need my space" - All that clutter from the ribbon takes up tons of space that I want for my spreadsheet or Word document. I don't want it hanging around looking pretty when it's the RESULTS that I want to look pretty not your freakin' supposed handiwork.

  • Oh, there's more but...why go on? You have essentially RUINED the interface for an otherwise sterling product group. Results: Zero buying proposition. The competition couldn't have planned this version of Microsoft Office any better!

And...there yah have it, again, folks. This bank of udders on the old cash cow done dried up! Proof once more that you guys and gals are workin’ for a company totally and more completely than ever...out of touch! Tsk. Tsk.

This Just In: It just keeps getting more and more interesting (12/19/2006, 09:36 EST)

EPILOGUE: J'ever wonder why more people aren't talking like this about the cash cow? Because their jobs depend upon Microsoft in some large way. If they didn't sugar coat everything with double-meanings and innuendo, they'd be out of a job. Me? I've got no job to be out of. Freedom's just another word for....?


Mini-Microsoft: Limited Round-Up, New Souls, and Old Problems
Mini-Microsoft: A Peanut Butter Manifesto for Microsoft to Chew On

Subscribe to Microstiff - Microsoft Outings of the Third Kind by Email

2 Comments:

  • Dude, the File tab is right there, in that big goofy circular icon at the top left.

    Ok, now granted, that was an incredibly stupid idea and whoever approved it oughta be horse-whipped, and granted, it took me three days to stumble upon it by accident. But once you KNOW it, c'mon, the learning curve is about three seconds.

    Otherwise, hey, some of the Powerpoint graphics are cool. But worth the price of admission? No way.

    And why can't I create my own toolbars anymore???? (At least I can't figure out how.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:14:00 PM  

  • CTRl+F1 and the ribbon toggles out off and in to sight ... not hard at all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, December 23, 2006 9:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home